Friday 3 August 2018

The most enjoyable subject...: ARS SINE SCIENTIA NIHIL EST


I began to think about science when I was very Young and received my first lab kit in my birthday. 

The experiments were very basic but they look like magical tricks. And I began to think about what happened at the molecular level that could explain that magic.



When I was growing up, I learned about the discovering of the atom, and how a Greek philosopher called Democritus thought about the smallest thing in universe. It was when he realized that the smallest thing must be indivisible, which is the meaning of the word “atom”.

Thinking about this, I wonder if the different kind of interactions between the atoms and molecules can cause different kind of weather, colors in nature, even diseases in humans. And I began focussing my attention in learning how any scientist or physician study human diseases at molecular level.

At the pharmacy school I realized that my way of thinking is not far from reality. And it is very important to learn basic subjects like mathematics, physics, general chemistry, molecular biology, etc., to be able to learn more sophisticated subjects, such as pharmacokinetics, toxicology, and many others. The basic subjects are equally important for lab techniques and all lab work. That´s because I think we keep the basic principle of “ARS SINE SCIENTIA NIHIL EST”, that is: Art without knowledge is nothing.

So, I always think about the world of possibilities that we can develop with what we are learning! We just need drive and imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment